Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Little Devil

Day 177
The Daily DuBrule

Every once in a while you run into a very useful plant. Physocarpus 'Little Devil' fits that bill. I love Physocarpus 'Diablo', a big, bold burgundy foliage plant for sun or dappled shade. But often it is just too big at 8-9' tall and wide. 'Summer Wine' is it's smaller cousin at 4-5' tall and wide, but still, where do you find a dwarf burgundy foliage plant that is compact and tidy. Enter 'Little Devil'.

Everything about this plant is miniaturized. The leaves, the white flowers, followed by the red calyxes. Growing only 3-4' tall, it makes a great little foliage filler in perennial borders. I have used it as a small burgundy deciduous hedge around a cafe table and chairs in a small seating area. It's also fairly upright and very easily pruned. Useful and very cute.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love mine. I'm either going to get another one, or move my current one to the perennial border. (I'm contemplating ripping out a Magnolia 'Jane'... she's annoying me. I think she'll be happier in a slightly more moist spot - the bank she's on is *very* well drained. Also, she'll eventually get bigger than I want, there.)

    ReplyDelete