Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Tall One


Day 198
The Daily DuBrule 

I have a daylily border along the side of my street. It features daylilies in shades of red, glowing gold, pale yellow, deep coral, and everything in between. I love to stand at my front door and watch people who walk by stop and admire the amazing flowers. In between the daylilies I have dropped seed pods of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' and queen Anne's lace. In the spring, there are daffodills across the slope. It is such an easy care, low maintenance border that I rarely work on it, which was my plan. I like to focus my energies in the back yard.

By early August, most of the color from the daylilies has passed. 'August Flame' lives up to its name and blooms all during the month of August. I need more of this plant, and others like it. But the star of the show in late August and early September is 'Autumn Minarette'. 

This stately daylily has sandy yellow flowers blushed with peach. The stems soar upward 5-6 feet! It is quite impressive to see just how unique and different this variety is from all the rest. I only have one clump but soon I will split it into 4 and distribute it across the border. 

'Autumn Minarette' is an example of a good plant that is not readily available in the trade anymore. Perhaps its because it looks so ridiculously leggy in a pot. That seems to be an important criteria for breeders and garden center buyers these days. For me, I don't care what it looks like on the benches. I just care that the plant is labeled true to name. I know once I put it in the garden that it will give me color and drama in a season when most daylilies are just growing leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment