Sunday, July 22, 2012

Native Plants ROCK!


Day 170
The Daily DuBrule

For the past few days I have been slaving away in my garden. The crabgrass wars. Reining in the tomatoes. Deadheading to beat the band. Power weeding. Let me tell you, July is a LOT of WORK. 

When I get tired, I stop and watch the action on the mountain mint (Pycnanthemum muticum). This native plant pulls in more pollinators than any other perennial I have ever met. Thousands-literally thousands- of honey bees, bumble bees, wasps of every size and color, moths, butterflies... you name it, they love my mountain mint. This is a vigorous plant and I embrace its vigor. Spread to your heart's content, my friend, as you welcome into my yard pollinators galore. Plus, the scent of mountain mint surrounding by edible garden and borders has to help deter the deer. 

Anyway, I just have stood and watched in wonder over and over again this weekend as the show unfolded. If you don't believe that native plants create habitats, plant mountain mint. Then you too will enjoy the show like I am doing, day after day, as this crazy summer rolls along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment