Thursday, March 8, 2012

It's Spring On the South Side

Foxglove plant in leafing out along the concrete foundation on the south side of my house.

Day 50
The Daily DuBrule

How is it possible? I have blogged for 50 straight days! And I still am finding things to talk about. Today we continue with a late winter tour of my garden. It was really REALLY warm today, so warm that for a while I sat in my courtyard and just watched the honeybees nectaring on the crocus and snowdrop flowers. What a wonderful sound, the buzzing of bees. It's been many months since that was a part of my world.

Everywhere I went today, the world was waking up. I saw rose leaves fully open. I spotted Aconitum (monkshood) and globe thistle (Echinops) foliage emerging. While discussing the possible pruning of Clematis, I saw swollen buds on vines that from a distance looked completely dried up and dead.
Euphorbia lathyrus (gopher spurge) looking gorgeous against my foundation.

Daffodils in bud
It's really a kick to have an early spring after the craziness of 2011. I am in heaven. Every day brings new surprises. I was tempted to plant spinach seeds this morning as I was examining the garlic breaking through the surface of the soil. I found bronze fennel foliage up high enough to nip a piece and rub between my fingers. Yum. Egyptian topping onions have enough top growth to cut and toss into salads. It's March 8th and it feels like early April. Woo Hoo!
Phlox subulata 'Betty', the tiniest of miniature creeping May pinks. Love this plant! It is especially charming with an amethyst heart shaped crystal nestled in the clump.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the butterfly bushes ever really lost their leaves this year. I spent lots of time today discussing how much to prune off of these summer blooming shrubs. The answer: as much as you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment