Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Buzzing of the Bees

Day 110
The Daily DuBrule

May is an insane month in my business. It is one of the most beautiful times of the year yet it strikes fear in the heart of garden center owners and landscapers. The cold weather ends and you suddenly have two to three weeks to get everything planted before Memorial Day, the holy grail of deadlines. Not that it really matters to the plants, but in the minds of many of my customers, Memorial Day is IT. It is impossible to get everything done that MUST be done. You don't dare allow yourself the guilty pleasure of stopping and enjoying the natural world when there is so much to do. You end up working so hard during the most beautiful month of the year that it disappears in a flash and you wake up Memorial Day morning completely exhausted. And the next day, you go right back to work. That's where my bees come in...
 
I have this outrageously beautiful pink wisteria in full bloom on my deck right now. When you sit down at the table below, the sound of the bees buzzing is all you can hear. The heady fragrance of thousands of wisteria blossoms takes you away to a faraway place. So I sit and close my eyes and listen to the buzzing of the bees and they relax me. Even if I only allow myself ten minutes of this pleasure, it helps keep me sane during this crazy month of May.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment