Saturday, May 19, 2012

Some Plants Have to be Fragrant

Day 120
The Daily DuBrule

Plant breeders think they are so smart. They take an old fashioned flower like Dianthus and then they create plants of every color. They make them bloom longer and repeat bloom and they make the stems stronger and shorter so the flowers don't flop. The create banded and swirled and speckled varieties. But they forget one thing: fragrance. It is common knowledge that the fragrance has been bred out of our favorite old fashioned plants like roses and Dianthus. 

The common name for Dianthus is clove pinks for goodness sakes. That is because for centuries the flowers have smelled like cloves. The fragrance of these traditional cottage garden flowers is intoxicating and distinctive. So, when you see a new variety and you bend down and sink your nose into the flower and come up empty it just seems wrong. 

I love fragrant flowers. When I discovered Dianthus 'Double North' I had to have it. Not only was it fragrant, it was white and I was looking for white flowers for my courtyard which I usually enjoy in the evenings after work. Plus, it had the nice blue foliage I crave. This plant doesn't disappoint. This week I am making bouquets of this combined with lily of the valley blossoms and placing them all over the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment