Monday, April 2, 2012

The Moon, My Greens, and Me



Day 75
The Daily DuBrule

I've been waiting for today for quite a while. I am attempting to plant by the phases of the moon this year. I have the calendar that makes it really easy, with every moon phase shown and what to plant when written on the various days. 


Why plant by the moon? Mankind has been doing this for centuries. The moon has a gravitational pull on the water in the oceans and in the soil. Following the moon cycle has a very beneficial effect on seed germination and plant growth. 


The last new moon was March 22nd, two days after the spring equinox. By Sunday March 25th, it was time to plant above ground annuals, especially leafy vegetables. Boy, I sure did want to plant my spinach on that day, but my life didn't allow it for a number of reasons. All week long, as the moon headed into the second quarter on Friday, March 30th, I kept thinking about planting. Sunday, my usual gardening day, was pretty nice out and I was all set to go, but the I suddenly got sick and couldn't do anything. Today, Monday, after doing tons and tons of chores and estimates and designs and shopping and loads of laundry like a good doobie, I was finally free to garden. At last. I planted spinach, lettuce, bok choy, and yellow and red swiss chard. I turned on my water spigots, hooked up my hoses, and watered the seeds in. The birds sang a grateful chorus, happy to see me out in the raised bed gardens again. It felt right. I got a good stretching workout, soaked up the sunshine, and stayed within the parameters that my calendar laid out for me. 

My greens last summer

This week, the moon is full on Good Friday, April 6th, which is also Passover eve. Many significant happenings on that day for mankind. As the moon is waxing this week, I will be planting peas, sweet peas, and other cool tolerant flowering vines. After the full moon, next week, the water will be drawn back down into the soil and it will be time to plant root crops. We're talking radishes, carrots, beets, parsnips, and a lot more. 


I'm having fun with this, and many of my gardening friends have started  gardening with the moon right along with me. For those that have been doing it for years, well, they swear by it. I started dabbling in it last year and had great luck. 


As I was sifting through the seed bed and carefully placing the seeds in the soil, I glanced up at my house. Rising over the roof was the moon, rising into the sky at 5 p.m., watching me work. I smiled and felt in step with the world, healthy once again, and quite at peace with the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment