Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Butterfly Kissing

Photo by Diane St. John
Day 211
The Daily DuBrule

Yesterday was my first day back to work after a week of vacation. I was determined not to spoil all the good that the long rest had done to my body and spirit. I didn't have to worry. The garden center was so jam packed with gorgeous, colorful plants that I could barely stay upstairs in my office. I had to keep going downstairs to wander the aisles and check everything out. 

The painted lady butterflies were EVERYWHERE. We have all been watching them this summer. Earlier, I didn't even know what butterfly they were and had to look them up. It seems as if they are abundant in many gardens in CT. this year. 
Photo by Diane St. John
Diane was out taking pictures for the email and we all just gathered around the Echinacea 'Pica Bella' to watch the action. Lots of painted ladies, small moths, bees, you name it, they were lovin' up this wonderful coneflower cultivar. Earlier in the season, when I was first trying to photograph the painted ladies, they flitted away every time I came near. Yesterday, they were so drunk on nectar that they didn't even care I was nearby. Then I had the idea that maybe I could kiss a butterfly!

Photo by Diane St. John










I am sure that the customer that was standing there and my younger staff must have thought I was crazy (Diane already knows that fact). I am a little crazy, that's what makes life fun when you have lots of work to do. Well, guess what. I kissed it! It made my day. Try it. You have to be patient, and quiet, and go slowly. But what a feeling...





2 comments:

  1. I seem to recall you once inspired your nephew, when he was very young, to kiss a worm. This kissing thing started long ago, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are a crazy lady and that is what makes it fun to work (and shop!) at Natureworks! Keeps us all laughing and our eyes rolling!

    ReplyDelete