Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sweet Woodland Wonder


Cimicifuga ramosa 'Atropurpurea'

The white flowers kept going into the deep shade
Day 214
The Daily DuBrule

Yesterday I worked in a garden that I have been tending for many years. It was carved out of the woods and has shown me what thrives in an a garden where deer are abundant and water is scarce. As I stood on the deck overlooking the garden I was amazed by the massive clumps of Cimicifuga ramosa 'Atropurpurea' that were in full bloom everywhere. The fragrance bowled me over. The six foot tall arching white wands drew the eye deeper and deeper into the darkness as the garden receded. The original plants have spread and thrived. It was a sight to behold. 

I have the same wonderful plants around my deck. Since I lost a large tree in the ice storm of 2011, mine haven't been too happy. It's too hot and sunny. The flowers are fine but the leaves turn brown on the edges from the heat of the summer. I have two new trees planted but they are taking a while. I don't want to move them because they really scent the air where I sit in the evening, they are in the perfect spot for that job.
 
There are lots of Cimicifugas out there and they all have their purpose in garden designs. This is is still my favorite, hands down. You just can't beat that sweet perfume and the fact that it wants to live in conditions that make other plants give up and disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment