Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why We Do This



Gerrardanthus macrorhiza:The most talked about plant at the show. The swollen base actually lives underground and stores water. The ivy grows out of it on top of the ground. Most people didn't think they were attached!
Day 39
The Daily DuBrule
I sit here in my recliner carrying out a long standing tradition of watching the Oscars on the last night of the CT Flower Show. Since I just about slept through dinner and nodded off in every conversation my husband tried to carry on with me, I guess I have to admit that I am completely and totally exhausted. And I am not the only one. The work involved in participating in this exciting and inspirational coming-of-spring ritual in indescribable until you have done it. There are heroes on every front, to Kristie who runs the show with grace, to the people who design and install the gardens, to the organizations that join in to educate the public. The list goes on and on. 


Is it about the money? If that was all it was, most would have stopped long ago. It's about the amazing feeling as you watch the people who attend the show learn about plants they never imagined existed. It's seeing the faces of people as they study the garden displays, dreaming in their own minds the possibilities, big and small, for their own yards.
Its hanging out in the Federated Garden Clubs area, watching people ooh and ah at the cool and unusual plants that are entered for competitions. It's in the discussions overheard as they try and understand the floral arrangements and designs and choices of the judges.
Clivia 'Golden Dragon'
It is so very worth it. We love what we do. It is just the greatest feeling there is to share that fascination, passion, and love with everyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment