Friday, June 8, 2012

Yet Another Great Late Blooming Bulb

Day 138
The Daily DuBrule

I have written before on this blog about a wonderful woodland garden that I worked in for many years that I miss a lot this year as the owner has sold the property. I was blessed with free reign to experiment with unusual plants. This owner loved bulbs, and when I heard about Triteleia ixiodes 'Starlight', it seemed like a perfect match for her rock garden. What I didn't know was that it would bloom later in the spring, in early June, when all the other bulbs had past. 

This bulb won't grow in deep shade. It prefers sun to partial shade so I located it in the back rock garden. 12" sprays of soft, creamy yellow flowers arise from thin foliage. It needs to be viewed up close, so plant it where you will be walking nearby. The trick to bulbs like these is to pair them with plants that will show them off. Now I think about dwarf, green leaf Ophiopogon or black mondo grass as two good possibilities. A few years ago I just clustered them in the nooks and crannies of the rockery and was pleasantly surprised to see them when they bloomed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment